Thursday, November 14, 2013

Stephanie Corby

by Kita



There are people, out there, in the world, with a talent that simply does not have limits. They are pretty rare, but I've been lucky enough to come across just one such individual. Her name is Stephanie Corby, and when I tell you that this woman's voice will blow you away, I am not dramatizing. 
  I first saw her perform several years ago, here in Salt Lake City. By this point, she'd already released an album, and was touring. Her music was a mix of blues, jazz, folk, and her easy going, big smiling nature on stage was a hit with the audience. Most impressive, though, was the voice that simply doesn't quit. There seemed to be no range that she couldn't reach. 
  A gracious New Englander, she always seemed to charm everyone she met. Other musicians would sing her praises, and hosts couldn't speak more highly of the woman, so when I asked her for an interview, she kept with that trend and I couldn't have been more thrilled. Read on to unlock a little more of this fascinating voice and the great woman behind it.

The Interview:

Kita: How would you describe your music

Stephanie: I often refer to myself as a soulful songstress.  The Webster Dictionary’s definition of soulful is “full of or expressing feeling or emotion.”   I think that pretty much “hits the nail on the head” as far as my music concerned.  I approach everything I do musically from a soulful standpoint – whether I am singing, playing guitar or writing songs.  There is no other way for me.

Kita: When were you first interested in music? What caught that interest? 

Stephanie:  My first real musical memory is being about 5 years old – I was sitting next to my grandmother on a piano bench as she played Rachmaninoff.  She was an amazing pianist.  I was always amazed at the way she moved and swayed while she played with her eyes closed.  The music was so powerful – it stayed with me and moved me. 

Kita: At what point did you decide to go pro? 

Stephanie:   It was later than most!  I didn’t write my first song until I was 28.  I then started singing backup for other artists…and then after a couple years of writing songs, and performing at open mics,  I decided it was time to get serious about getting my art out into the world.

Kita: Has being on that level of music really changed your viewpoints/perspectives on the world? How about on music? 

Stephanie: It truly has.  It has humbled me.  As the years have gone by I have realized that my art is not really about me – it is about the people that sit in the audience or listen to my songs.  It is service.  I have been given a gift and it is my responsibility to share that gift with people.  I am always amazed at the way people take in music and how it affects them personally.  I am also amazed by the kindness I have experienced in the strangest of places and geographies.  Music unites people and I love that I can be a conduit in that regard.



Kita: Do you prefer the creation or the performance?

Stephanie:  I would have to say performance – simply because singing is my favorite thing to do….period. 

Kita: How have those closest to you reacted to all of this? 

Stephanie: They are happy, supportive, and proud.  J 

Kita: How have you found the music community?

Stephanie: I think initially I went to a lot of open mics and attended a lot of music conferences like the North American Folk Alliance and South-by-South-West.  It connected me with my tribe- a tribe that would lead me to many new places.  My true musical family resides at the Kerrville Folk Festival in Texas – I have been convening there with my fellow songwriters since 1999.

Kita: Do you struggle to maintain a good balance of day-to-day vs music? 

Stephanie: Yes – balance is always hard, isn’t it?  I try to carve out time on my calendar each week to devote to my “muse” – it doesn’t always work out but most of the time it does!

Kita: How about the business side vs the music side?  

Stephanie: For some strange reason I was born with a split brain that is both artistic and business-minded.  It has served me well.  I actually worked for a few years in NYC as VP of Marketing & Promotion at an Americana Record Label.  It was before I started my own music career and I learned so much about the business and how to manage myself moving forward.

Kita: What's your favorite aspect of music?  

Stephanie: Singing and performing with other people.  As I said before, music unites people.  When two musicians get into the “zone” while they are playing with each other, there is nothing better.  I often perform with an amazing guitar player named David Glaser.  I feel that he is my “brother from another mother!”  It is almost as if we can read each other’s minds musically….it is effortless and so rewarding.  To me it is the musician’s version of nirvana. J



Kita: Least favorite?  

Stephanie: Egos.  Enough said.

Kita: Where do you find inspiration? 

Stephanie:  In everything!!!!!!!

Kita: Do you prefer working alone, or is collaboration more your style

Stephanie: I prefer to write alone and perform with others.

Kita: What is touring like?

Stephanie: Exhausting and rewarding.  Touring has allowed me to see many corners of North America that most people will never get to see.   I remember one time I did a show at a cowboy hotel in Reed Point, Montana.  The population of the town was 99 and 80 people showed up for the show!  Those are memories that you always take with you.  I also remember many faces and souls that I have crossed paths with over the years – some haunt me and some make me smile.  I am grateful for all of them.

Kita: If you could go back in time, and tell your beginner self one thing, what would it be?

Stephanie:  YOU ROCK – don’t let anyone tell you different!  

To get more information on this super talented lady, check out her website here: http://www.stephaniecorby.com/


Have anyone else you'd like us to chat with? Suggestions are taken in the comments below! 



No comments:

Post a Comment